Friday, September 14, 2012

Laundry, thou art a fickle bitch

My laundry and I have a rather precarious relationship. I've never actually run out of clean clothes, but I have run out of clean, folded, put-away clothes.* My normal laundry cycle is as follows:

Fill laundry basket
Wash clothes
Dry clothes
Leave clothes in dryer for about a week
Wash another load
Take first load out of dryer and put into a spare laundry basket, place basket in living room
Dry second load
Repeat until I run out of laundry baskets
Begrudgingly fold clothes
Move basket full of folded clothes into bedroom
Rummage through clean, folded clothes for about a week
Put away remaining clothes (usually about 3 pairs of underwear, some socks, and a couple shirts by this point)

I don't know why I put myself through this cycle over and over, it's just one of those things I do. It's a habit now. I know it would be so easy to just fold my clothes and put them away, but for some reason I just dread it. So I keep putting it off until my living room looks like this:

Not my actual laundry. Or my shoes. Although they are pretty fabulous.

Maybe one of these days I'll get into a better groove and actually fold and put away my laundry as soon as it's done. Or maybe when my daughter is old enough that will be her chore. ;)  Only time will tell. Until then:





*This may say more about the quantity of clothing I own than my cleaning abilities.

4 comments:

  1. This is pretty much my laundry scheme, although ours ends up in a mountain on the dining room table, and gets folded and put away just about never.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh... The dining room... Never thought about that, then I'd never have to look at it haha!

      Delete
  2. I dump our clean laundry on the couch after it comes out of the dryer. That way we have to fold it before we can sit down. Ha! Good luck with passing that task onto your daughter. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think that would work for us, our couch is huge! There's room for a lot of laundry on it lol. And I'm really good at piling it up into tall, skinny stacks ;)

      Delete